[OAI-implementers] Proposed corrections/fixes to OAI-PMH protocol document and schema

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 21 11:26:14 EDT 2004

hi Simeon

[this is a quick reply, cos i am about to leave town but thought i
should reply now rather than in 2 weeks :)]

firstly, thanks for looking into this. may i suggest that the naming
system for any updated documentation be looked at very carefully so as
not to cause any confusion among readers. i would be in favour of an
"OAI-PMH revision 2" with a link back to the first revision. anyone have
better ideas?

1/2: i have some reservations about us requiring URL-encoding within
XML. this mixes syntax with intended semantics of use and further
entrenches the implicit support for URL-encoding, which is irrelevant
if, for example, OAI-PMH makes the jump to using a SOAP request/response
model. the model and abstractions must be clean and separable, they
arent quite so already and i would prefer they didnt get more complicated.

3/4/5: sounds good.

6: its about time (no pun intended), but shouldnt the pattern be tighter
than anything ending in "Z"? or does it not matter for validation
purposes if the base is set properly? has anyone tried base/extension
validation?

7: obviously this only applies to "persistent" records. the situation is
different if "transient" or "no" are specified in the "deletedRecords"
field of Identify ... so maybe you want to tie this into the discussion
in section 2.7.1. or merge the sections somehow so it is all clearer.

8: in an attempt not to "grease the squeaky wheel", if ure creating a
data type for one field, why not for all? wouldnt that be a cleaner
solution anyway?

ttfn,
----hussein